Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Keeping the Dream Alive


So, yesterday did not necessarily go as planned, but that is ok. I swam as hard as I could at the moment but that was not enough. I am a big believer in "Things Happen For a Reason" and I think that the whole event taught me a lot, not only about myself but about life and racing. There are no words to describe the feelings and thoughts that were running through my head as I walked up the stairs onto the pool deck. I could feel my heart beat with each step. Having said that I learned that nerves can be a good and helpful thing but if you let them get the best of you then you forget about the important things. I also learned that this is MY race, no one else's. The girls standing next to me, the crowd, the officials, they all don't matter when it comes down to it. I think I forgot about that and let the nerves of swimming in the "meet of a lifetime" get to me. But like coach said I am glad to have this experience early on when I still have time to improve, I am young and I look forward to many more meets like this one. When Katie Hoff swam her 400 IM a couple years back she let the nerves get the best of her, and look at where she is now. If you take it as a lesson rather than a burden thats when you become a champion. 

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, this time more wisely." - unknown

More wisely being a time trial. I plan to time trial the 100 Back today with a different approach. No nerves, No distraction, just me and the water. 

I am not going to lie though, this experience is unreal. There is so much more behind the scenes, other than racing pool and t.v. camera's. It is like a swimmers heaven. Toyota contributed a wonderful room with chairs, pillows, computers, T.V. games, food, and rock band for the athletes to relax in during the meet. There are also free massages, physical therapy, and jacuzzis  for the athletes. I got a massage yesterday and it was amazing. I could not have asked for a better experience then I am having. 

A BIG thanks to everyone at home, friends and family, for the support.

1 comment:

kaos904 said...

Aubrey,

We're so proud of you! Thanks for inspring all of us. We saw Nancy Hennessy at the Bolles meet this weekend and she told me that my daughter, Kasey, reminds her of you when you were her age. Kasey was so pumped when I told her! We consider it a HUGE compliment. With hard work and dedication, maybe some day Kasey will be as awesome as you! Glad to hear you're having fun!

Brandi Schmidt