Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Excitement Is Building

Even those living beyond the swimming world's bubble are feeling the buzz about this Olympic Trials. Those in the know already know that, well, they may not know anything. Sure, Michael Phelps will qualify in a slew of events along with Katie Hoff and Natalie Coughlin. That much seems for sure. Erik Vendt and Peter Vanderkaay are also likely qualifiers. But the one thing I know after swimming at my own Olympic Trials is that there are no sure things. This is a meet apart, an experience like no other.

Naturally I'm incredibly excited to be a part of the event. For those who don't know I'll be working with NBC on broadcasting the Trials. At the end of July I travel to Beijing to do the same thing. Basically I'll try to help Dan Hicks with swimmers and times and the kinds of things the lay-person doesn't really know about our sport.

But that's me and that's boring. What's exciting is knowing that Chris and Aubrey will have the chance in competing in a historic meet. I for one am excited to see them surprise people, including themselves, with what they are capable of doing in the water. And the beauty is they aren't walking in there with a nation's expectations on their shoulders. The trick at Trials is to walk into that building under the radar and leave it as a prime target.

I hope I can do justice to the excitement at this meet. I'll do what I can to bring you the other side of the Trials, the things you won't get to see during that live hour of broadcasting each night.

And while I'm gone, SWIM FAST!!!!

Coach Bahr

3 comments:

Coach Sergio said...

Thanks Coach Christian. I have not had the privilege of swimming at the US Trials but I have been there many times and it is a very exciting competition. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Dan Hicken? or Dan Hicks?

Anonymous said...

Coach Christian, although we will miss you while you are gone, we will do our best to swim fast. I know that you will be assited by some great software (I hope) and that you will represent Bolles, and the USA, in a totally different, but equally as special way. Represent the Hammerheads! We'll miss you!